City gets first look at budget
West Fargo City Commissioners received a first glimpse of the 2014 budget Monday night that revealed good news in that it doesn't show any tax levy increase.
City Administrator Jim Brownlee presented the very preliminary figures to commissioners Monday night.
Brownlee said the budget proposal includes hiring four employees in the police department -- three officers and a clerical position; and two each in the public works and sanitation areas.
The current salary proposal shows a one step increase and picking up the two percent increase in retirement contributions.
Details of the budget are yet to be worked out with the first meeting set for talks on Monday, July 15 immediately following the regularly scheduled commission meeting.
In other action, the commission:
- following a public hearing approved first reading of the rezoning of Brooks Harbor 2nd Addition from agricultural to single family dwelling per a request by Brooks Harbor Development to allow for single family development. The approximate 43 acre site, located south of I-94 and west of Sheyenne Street, was annexed into the city in 2005;
- following a public hearing approved first reading of a request from Shadow Creek Development to rezone Shadow Creek 5th Addition from agricultural to single family dwelling so single family development can occur. The 25.86 acre parcel, located south of 36th Avenue East and along 4th Street East was annexed into the city in 2005;
- Gave first reading to Ordinance No. 959 involving the annexation of the Beaton property;
- approved second and final reading of Ordinance No. 957 relating to Animals, adding a section for restricted non-venomous constricting snakes along with types of snakes included under the category. A permit will be required by pet snake owners at a $150 fee for a maximum of three snakes. The permit will need to be renewed yearly. Failure to obtain a permit will carry a $100 fine and/or ten hours of community service. Approval will also be needed from the police department if snakes are taken somewhere for public display;
- favored second and final reading for rezoning as well as a final plat and a land use plan amendment for West Creek 1st Addition from agricultural to one and two family dwellings, multiple dwelling, and public facilities. The 23.10 acre parcel is located along 13th Avenue West, west of the Sheyenne Park Development and Cass County Drain 21 and southeast of the Red River Valley Fairgrounds. J & O Real Estate made the request to allow for twin homes and apartments. The approval was granted contingent upon the annexation being finalized.
- okayed second and final reading of Ordinance No. 961 relating to changes in State Statutes dealing with traffic and crimes that already went into effect July 1 and others on Aug. 1, following action last session by the N.D. Legislature;
- okayed second and final reading of Ordinance No. 966 relating to water service and water meters. The application should be accompanied by a fee set by resolution of the city commission striking the $15 fee previously charged, with the meter provided and the location of it approved by the city.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the West Fargo City Commission will take place Monday, July 15 at 5:30 p.m. in the Commission Chambers at West Fargo City Hall, 800 4th Ave. E. A meeting to discuss the 2014 budget will take place immediately following. All meetings are open to the public.