There's no shortage of Halloween happenings between now and Oct. 31. Here's your guide to eerie events going on in town and around the region. Keep in mind, some events may have an admission fee and weather can cause cancellations.
At the library
Though it's not haunted (we don't think), the library has a host of Halloween activities. Take a look and see what's spooking you.
* Pumpkin Painting Party, 5 to 7 tonight, Fargo Public Library, Carlson Branch, 2801 32nd Ave. S. Bring one pumpkin per child, and the library will supply the decorations and treats. (701) 241-1495 or www.fargolibrary.org.
* Storytime: Bats in the Library, 1:30 p.m. today, West Fargo Public Library, 109 3rd St. E. (701) 433-5460 or www.westfargolibrary.org.
* Pumpkin Painting Party, 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Fargo Public Library, 102 3rd St. N., Fargo. See above entry.
* Movie: "Halloween Spooktacular," 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday, West Fargo Public Library.
* Movie: "The Ring," 2 p.m. Saturday, Moorhead Public Library, 118 5th St. S. Rated PG-13. (218) 233-7594 or www.larl.org.
* Storytime: Ghost in the House, 1:30 p.m. Oct. 27, West Fargo Public Library. Police officer will read and discuss Halloween safety with children.
* It Came From Outer Space: Ghost Stories for Grown-Ups, 7 to 8 p.m. Oct. 29, Fargo Public Library, 102 3rd St. N. Costumes are encouraged. Not recommended for children under 12.
* Movie: "Frankenpooh," 10:30 to 11:05 a.m. Oct. 30, West Fargo Public Library.
* Movie: "Coraline," 3:30 to 5:10 p.m. Oct. 30, West Fargo Public Library. Rated PG.
Marking Halloween with costumes or scary stories can be fun in a group setting. With that in mind, here are some community events.
* Storytime: Halloween Monsters, 11 a.m. Saturday, Barnes & Noble, 1201 42nd St. S., Fargo. (701) 281-1002 or www.bn.com.
* Freaky Fright Night, 6:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Fargo Youth Commission, 2500 18th St. S. Come in costume for games and crafts, magic show, haunted attic, snacks and other refreshments. (701) 241-8160.
* Night Eyes Howloween, noon to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Red River Zoo, 4220 21st Ave. S., Fargo. Come in costume, trick-or-treat throughout the zoo and enjoy spooky activities. (701) 277-9240 or www.redriverzoo.org.
* Fright Night, 5 to 10 p.m. Oct. 27, Memorial Building, Devils Lake, N.D. Family-friendly Halloween party. (701) 662-4903.
* Black Cat Bash, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 27, Purpur Arena, Grand Forks, N.D. Stories, crafts and games for children 8 and younger. (701) 746-2750 or www.gfparks.org.
* Halloween Costume Contest for Physically Challenged Children, 4 to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 29, MeritCare Healthcare Accessories, 3223 32nd Ave. S., Fargo. Prizes, games, refreshments and music. Preregistration required. (701) 234-1329.
* Fall Carnival, 5:30 to 8 p.m. Oct. 29, Oak Grove Lutheran Elementary School, 2720 32nd Ave. S., Fargo. Inflatable and carnival games, face painting, food and prizes. Appropriate costumes welcome. (701) 893-3073 or www.oakgrovelutheran.com.
* Comstock House Halloween Treats and Tours, 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 30, Historic Comstock House, 506 8th St. S., Moorhead. Come in costume and enjoy tours of the house, treats, and refreshments. (218) 291-4211 or www.mnhs.org/comstock.
* Spooky Reader's Theatre and Movie, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 30, Historic Holmes Theatre, Detroit Lakes, Minn. Ghost stories, film and pumpkin catapult. (218) 844-7469 or www.dlccc.org.
* Haunted Museum, 8 p.m. Oct. 30, Otter Tail County Historical Society, 1110 W. Lincoln Ave., Fergus Falls, Minn. Additional events held from 6 to 7 p.m. at WestRidge Mall. (218) 736-6038 or www.otchs.org.
Fright night (and day)
Some people celebrate Halloween for weeks. But for those who need something to do on the day, here's a list of Halloween activities.
All events are on Oct. 31.
* Fall Community Carnival, 9 a.m. to noon, Atonement Lutheran Church, 4601 S. University Drive, Fargo. Games, prizes, climbing wall and candy. Appropriate costumes encouraged. Nonperishable food items collected. (701) 237-9651 or www.atonementfargo.org.
* Storytime: Happy Halloween, 11 a.m., Barnes & Noble, 1201 42nd St. S., Fargo. Stories and kid costume contest. (701) 281-1002 or www.bn.com.
* Pumpkin Carving Day, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Renaissance Hall, 650 NP Ave., Fargo. Children and adults can carve, decorate and paint pumpkins. Refreshments, games, prizes, pumpkins and painting supplies provided. (701) 231-8818.
* Halloween Hoot, noon to 3 p.m., Washington Square Mall 808 Washington Ave., Detroit Lakes, Minn. Parade of costumes begins at 2 p.m. Trick-or-treating is from 2 to 5 p.m.
* Movie: "The Exorcism of Emily Rose," 2 p.m. Oct. 31, Moorhead Public Library, 118 5th St. S. Rated PG-13. (218) 233-7594.
* Grace Lutheran School Fall Carnival, 3 to 5:30 p.m., 1025 14th Ave. S., Fargo. Carnival games and food. Costumes encouraged. (701) 232-7747 or www.gracelutheranschool.org.
* Community Halloween Carnival, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., Courts Plus Fitness Center, 3491 University Drive, Fargo. Inflatable and carnival games, face painting, art project, pizza, candy. (701) 241-8160 or www.fargoparks.com.
* Frontier Village and National Buffalo Museum Treat Nite, 5 to 7 p.m., Jamestown, N.D. All-in-one trick-or-treating stop. (701) 252-8648.
* Fargo Jaycees Halloween Event, 5 to 10 p.m., Fargo Civic Center Centennial Hall.
* Halloween Trick-or-Treating, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., West Acres Shopping Center, 3902 13th Ave. S., Fargo. (701) 282-2222.
* BOO-Galoo on Broadway, 6 p.m., downtown Fargo. Halloween parade heads north on Broadway from NP Avenue to Sixth Avenue North.
* Heaven's Gates, Hell's Flames, 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., First Assembly of God, 3401 25th St. S., Fargo. (701) 232-0003 or www.firstassembly.fm.
* Legends of Terror Haunted House, 8 p.m. to midnight, Myra Museum, Grand Forks, N.D. For ages 16 and up. The Half Pint Haunt for Kids is from 5 to 7 p.m. (701) 746-0444.
Haunted spots and pumpkin patches
There's fun in fear when it's packaged as a haunted house or pumpkin patch. Below is a rundown of some spots that might be scary (or not-so-scary).
* Acres of Terror, dusk to 1 a.m. Thursday through Saturday and Oct. 29-31, Leonard, N.D. Haunted fields, woods, buildings and vehicles. (701) 491-2587.
* Buffalo River Pumpkin Patch, 3 to 6 p.m. Friday and Oct. 30, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Oct. 31, Glyndon, Minn. Horse-drawn rides, petting zoo, barrel cars, cowboy camp, games and more. (218) 498-2684 or www.buffaloriverpumpkinpatch.com.
* Dakota Carriage Co. Pumpkin Patch, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Oct. 31, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, 7414 40th Ave. N., Fargo. Horse-drawn rides, petting zoo, bale and corn mazes, barrel train rides and more. (701) 347-4069 or www.dakotacarriagecompany.com.
* Haunted Farm, 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday through Oct. 31, 10 miles south of Moorhead on Highway 75. Site also includes Haunted Corn Maze and Extreme Scream. (218) 585-4302 or www.hauntedfarm.com.
* Lindig Farms Pumpkin Patch and Fall Festival, opens at 3 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, 17495 County Highway 15, Fergus Falls, Minn. Pumpkin patch and family farm. (218) 736-5086.
* Not Too Scary Haunted House, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 30 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 31, The Children's Museum at Yunker Farm, 1201 28th Ave. N., Fargo. Play great ghoulish games and create creepy crafts throughout the museum. (701) 232-6102.
While Halloween is usually a blast for the kids, sometimes adults might want to commemorate the night without the kids. Here are some options:
* Roster McCabe Pre-Halloween Party, 9:30 p.m. Oct. 29, The Aquarium, 226 Broadway, Fargo. (701) 235-5913.
* Halloween party, 6 p.m. Oct. 30, Sons of Norway, 722 2nd Ave. N. Fargo. Dance in ballroom begins at 7 p.m. (701) 232-9222.
* Halloween party, 7 p.m. Oct. 31, El Zagal Shrine Center, 1429 3rd St. N., Fargo. Music, costume contest and door prizes. (701) 235-7521 or www.elzagal.org.
* Starstruck Halloween, 8 p.m. Oct. 31, Shooting Star Casino, Mahnomen, Minn. With Carmen Electra, Brooke Hogan and Catt Sadler. Country band 32 Below will play and there will be a costume contest. (800) 313-7469.
* Red River Singles Halloween Dance, 8:30 p.m. Oct. 31, Sons of Norway, 722 2nd Ave. N., Fargo. Music by Lone Wolf. (218) 233-0517.
* Costume contest and music by Joy Ride, 9 p.m. Oct. 31, Dilworth (Minn.) VFW, 1505 W. Center Ave. (218) 233-6100 or www.moorheadvfw.com.
* Halloween Extravaganza, 9 p.m. Oct. 31, The Aquarium, 226 Broadway, Fargo. (701) 235-5913.
* Halloween party and costume contest, 9:30 p.m. Oct. 31, Elks Club, 3435 Broadway, Fargo, Prizes and karaoke. (701) 293-5151 or www.fargoelksclub.com.