Horace man identified as fatal fire victim
HORACE, N.D. - The man who died in an accidental fire here Tuesday has been identified as Jared Scott Helgeson.
Helgeson, 26, lived in the home at 610 Willow Court with his parents, Lyle and Tammy Helgeson.
A news release issued this afternoon by the Cass County Sheriff's Office said Helgeson's body was taken to the state medical examiner's office in Bismarck for an autopsy.
On Tuesday, Cass County investigators said the fire appeared to be an accident. Horace, West Fargo and Davenport fire crews were dispatched at 1:13 p.m. after neighbors reported seeing smoke emanating from the house.
The fire had gone out on its own by the time crews arrived.
Investigators believe the victim could have died from smoke inhalation, said Capt. Rick Majerus of the Cass County Sheriff's Department.
The fire was deemed not intentional, and investigators ruled out foul play after finding nothing suspicious, Majerus said.
"They didn't find anything out of the ordinary or anything that didn't look the way it was supposed to look in the home," he said.
It could have been started by smoking materials - such as cigarettes, matches or candles, Majerus said.
The home sustained heavy smoke damage from the fire, he said.