Letter: Foundation announces WFHS Hall of Fame event
After some years of dormancy, the West Fargo Public Schools Educational Foundation has been re-activated.
The 2014 recognition event is scheduled for Sept. 18 at Bonanzaville in West Fargo.
This year’s inductees include Tim Brookins (alum; distinguished engineer with Microsoft), Collette Folstad (former teacher and girls’ basketball head coach), Allan and Darren Rust (alums; members of The Blenders), and the 1983 championship boys’ basketball team and cheerleaders.
The Hall of Fame event is open to anyone; in fact, we encourage our community to attend and support the recognition of outstanding alumni and supporters of West Fargo Public Schools.
Tickets are now available from the Foundation’s website: www.westfargofoundation.com.
Individual tickets are $50 and eight-person tables are $500. The recognition event runs from 6 to 10 p.m. and consists of dinner, silent and live auctions.
Since its inception in 2010, the West Fargo High School Hall of Fame has honored several outstanding individuals with strong West Fargo roots. Past inductees include:
- Anthony England, Ph.D, a 1959 graduate of WFHS and a former astronaut who is now an academic dean at the University of Michigan.
- Marvin Leidal, a West Fargo educator from 1960 to 1999, he served as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and finally as superintendent from 1979 to 1999.
- John Hoganson, Ph.D, class of 1970, an accomplished geologist and paleontologist who discovered a new species of beetle in Chile, and unearthed many fossils in North Dakota.
- Larry Lubben, recognized for his fervent and selfless support of Packer activities as both a community member and parent, he began filming games in 1983 and has done over 1600 games.
- Commander Ryan Torgrimson, class of 1991, US Navy Judge Advocate, was a U.S. Navy Pilot before earning his doctorate in law at the University of Virginia.
- Clint Schmidt, Ph.D, class of 1991, an accomplished immunologist who works to develop vaccines for bacterial and fungal infections.
Among the criteria for nomination are the following:
- Outstanding in field.
- Recognized by general population.
- Gives back to community.
- Brings honor to WFHS.
- Advances the cause of education.
- Views education as a lifelong experience.
- State champion.
In addition to the main recognition event, inductees are also honored and acknowledged in other ways:
- Halftime appearance during the Homecoming football game.
- Two plaques – one for the display case at WFHS and one for the inductee.
- Inclusion in the WFHS Graduation Bulletin.
- Announcements in the The Forum of Fargo Moorhead and West Fargo Pioneer newspapers.
- Announcement in the WFHS Packer newspaper.
- Announcement in the WFHS newsletter, “Catch the Spirit.”
The West Fargo Educational Foundation Board is excited to sponsor the 2014 Hall of Fame event, and hopes to see you on Sept. 18 to help honor this year’s inductees.
David Flowers is superintendent of West Fargo Public Schools