Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Subway, day care evacuated after carbon monoxide leak

A Subway restaurant and daycare here had to be evacuated on Monday after emergency crews found a woman suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Around 9:38 a.m., paramedics and West Fargo Police were sent to Subway at 109 East Main Ave in West Fargo for the report of a person feeling lightheaded.

Paramedics recognized the patient's symptoms as consistent with possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Shortly after 10 a.m., the West Fargo Fire department arrived on scene and found slightly high levels of carbon monoxide in the building, including space occupied by Appletree Preschool.

No children or staff members reported feeling ill, but they were evacuated as a precaution while firefighters monitored the building and determined the most likely source, West Fargo Fire Chief Dan Fuller said in a release. The most likely cause of the higher levels of carbon monoxide was a malfunctioning furnace, he said in the release. The system was shut off, and the building ventilated until carbon monoxide levels returned to normal.

The daycare and Subway restaurant was building was re-opened.

Wendy Reuer

Wendy reports for The Forum and West Fargo Pioneer, where she is also assistant editor. A University of Minnesota Morris graduate from North Dakota, Wendy started her career in television news and entertainment in Minnesota and at CBS in Television City, Calif. before working at newspapers in Minnesota and North Dakota. 

(701) 241-5530
Advertisement