Andrew Haffner covers higher education and general assignment stories for the Grand Forks Herald. He attended the University of Wisconsin in Madison, where he studied journalism, political science and international studies. He previously worked at the Dickinson Press.
- Member for
- 2 years 8 months
Grafton, ND—Authorities with the Grafton Police Department are warning the public about Fentanyl after an overdose death was discovered last week. Police officials are warning the public that Fentanyl is within the community. Officers responded to a medical call on August 26th at 110 West 14th Street. Upon arrival, they found Eugene Mecham, 30, deceased. A preliminary investigation suggests the possibility of Fentanyl use associated with the death. An autopsy performed at the UND School of Medicine is still pending a toxicological analysis.
GRAND FORKS, N.D.—Ruth Pederson, a Grand Forks middle school teacher of more than 20 years, had prayed Sunday night for a good first day of class after summer vacation. As that first Monday of the year went on and the excited special education instructor marveled at how much the kids had grown over the break, it became clear her prayers had been answered. What wasn't yet clear was the extent. Not long after Pederson left school, she discovered she'd won the lottery—a $100,000 Powerball with Power Play prize from numbers drawn on Saturday.
GRAND FORKS, N.D.—Even as summer winds down, the great outdoors still calls to anyone looking to get in one last road trip for the season before packing up for a post-Labor Day cool-down. Road warrior or not, the region's state parks beckon. North Dakota alone boasts a total of 14 state parks and eight state recreational areas. Minnesota has even more, with a combined 75 state parks and recreation areas.
The increasing cost of EpiPens, an emergency allergy drug applicator, may have been thrust into the national spotlight recently, but a local allergy expert says the climbing rates have been hitting hard long before now.
A man has been pronounced dead by medical officials after being found unresponsive Friday morning at the Hilton Garden Inn in Grand Forks on the UND campus. The 26-year-old had been staying at the hotel and was not affiliated with the university, according to a release from the UND Police Department. The release stated that officers from the department responded to a call about the man at about 8:20 a.m. and attempted life-saving measures until the man was transported by medical personnel to Altru Hospital, where the man was later pronounced dead.