- Member for
- 4 years 10 months
West Fargo High School science teacher Sara Forness was one of five teachers in the nation to win an Outstanding Educator award from Project Learning Tree on Thursday. Forness – who teaches environmental science and field biology — is the first North Dakota teacher to ever win the award. “Since there were only five winners in the nation, I was very surprised,” Forness said. “It is such a big honor, and I am so grateful to work with the foresters I get to work with.
The West Fargo VFW will be hosting its 11th annual R.O.S.S. (Remembering Our Serving Soldiers) event on Saturday, March 8, beginning at 11 a.m. The event will feature two meals,...
After 18 consecutive victories, the West Fargo girls basketball team lost its first game in the final game of the regular season, falling to the Fargo Davies Eagles 67-55. The team found themselves in a 15-point hole at halftime after shooting 30 percent (6-for-20) from the field. Davies, on the other hand, shot roughly 70 percent in the same amount of time. “They really shot the lights out,” head coach Barb Metcalf said. “We dug ourselves a big hole, but we’ve been down a halftime before by 10 or 12. They were playing well at the right time.
The Packer boys basketball regular season came to an end with a rough skid for the Packers, who lost to Fargo Davies 86-73 on Thursday. Davies shot 50 percent from behind the 3-point line, compared to 27.3 percent from the Packers. The Packers were led by junior forward Travis Schock, who scored 32 points, shot 53 percent from the field, and made 11 of 15 free throws. He also had three rebounds and three steals. Schock ends the regular season ranked fourth in the east in scoring, averaging 20.2 points per game.
The Packer boys swimming and diving team had eight top-4 finishes en route to a second-place team finish at the EDC championship tomournament. Their 436 points were second only to Fargo North, who ended the weekend with 502.5 points. “North had a really good meet,” head coach Marsha Dahl said. “They are too strong for most teams, and they have some real horses.
Junior wrestler Jordan Shearer made Packer history two weeks ago. The 132-pounder became just the fourth wrestler in North Dakota history to win five individual state championships. “It didn’t come as a surprise,” Packer head coach Kayle Dangerud said. “He steps up when it matters most. He dominated his finals match and scored some bonus points, and that is a big deal for us.” Shearer, 17, finished the season with a record of 50-3.
The West Fargo School District is working to get a new program off the ground, literally. In their Jan.
Students from Cheney and Liberty middle schools are to perform in three productions of “The Wizard of Oz.” The shows will take place tomorrow, Friday and Saturday evening, and all shows start at 7 p.m. “It is going to be a fabulous show,” co-director Susan Morken said. “The effort these kids have put in, along with the costumes and set, has just been wonderful.” This will be the ninth middle school production co-directed by Morken and Jo Brekke.
The West Fargo boys basketball team ended its three-game losing streak last week, but their momentum didn’t last too long. The Packers started out by beating the Grand Forks Red River Roughriders 87-68 on Thursday, but followed it up with a 58-57 loss to Fargo South the next day. After shooting just 37 percent from the field in their previous game, the Packers made 50 percent of their shots on Thursday, thanks to lights-out performances from junior Melvin Collins and senior Nick Eisenzimmer. “It was nice to make some shots against Red River,” head coach Greg Limke said.
The Packer boys hockey team’s Cinderella postseason run came to an end earlier than fans hoped for. Despite a 3-11 regular season region record and entering the East Region tournament as the No.