BISMARCK — The North Dakota Department of Health on Sunday, May 3, announced the death of a Cass County man in his 90s from COVID-19, the illness caused by coronavirus.

Twenty-five North Dakotans, including 18 Cass County residents, now have succumbed to the illness, which has claimed more than 65,000 lives nationwide.

The department reported 38 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday.

The total number of positive tests for the virus in the state is up to 1,191, but 517 people have recovered from the illness. There are 31 residents hospitalized with the illness, down one from Saturday.

Thirty-three of the new cases Sunday came from Cass County, which encompasses Fargo and West Fargo. North Dakota's most populous county now has 605 known cases — more than half of the state's total.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

Just two of the new cases were reported in Grand Forks County, which has seen the state's most intense flare-up at a wind turbine manufacturing plant in the last two weeks. A total of 145 workers at the Grand Forks LM Wind Power facility have tested positive for the illness, including 130 North Dakota residents and 15 Minnesota residents, department spokeswoman Nicole Peske said earlier this week. Grand Forks County now has 267 known cases of the illness, the second most in the state.

The department announced 1,806 test results Sunday. So far, the state and health care providers have met a goal of evaluating 1,800 tests daily in May. Gov. Doug Burgum has said the goal is to test 6,000 people per day by the end of June.

The other three new cases Sunday came from Stark, Stutsman and Williams counties. Stark now has 55 known cases, and Stutsman has 11.

A total of 33,353 tests for the virus have been reported by the state, and 36 counties now have at least one known case of the illness. However, Gov. Doug Burgum has previously said that the cases are reported based on patients' mailing addresses rather than their actual location in the state, so it is unknown where infected patients are isolating or seeking medical help.

Even with many of the state's restaurants, personal care businesses and gyms reopening Friday, Burgum has said great concern remains for the state's most vulnerable residents: people over 65 and those with underlying health conditions. He urged residents who fall in those categories to stay home for at least another two weeks after the closures end. An executive order restricting visitation at nursing homes remains in place.

The number of cases in residents and employees of nursing homes and long-term care facilities sits at 163. More than three-quarters of the cases tied to nursing homes have come in Fargo, including 34 at Villa Maria, 23 at Eventide, 18 at Rosewood on Broadway and 13 at Bethany on 42nd.

Four nursing homes in Grand Forks have reported 13 total cases of the illness in the last two weeks, including Valley Senior Living on Columbia with six cases and Woodside Village Valley Senior Living with five cases.

Ava Maria Village in Jamestown reported four known cases of illness on Friday.

Burgum has said the state is aiming to test every resident of a nursing home or long-term care facility in North Dakota.

As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage.