WASHINGTON - Sens. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., and John Hoeven, R-N.D., have nominated 11 North Dakota students to the nation's military service academies.
Heitkamp's nominations include:
• Morgan Adams, Wahpeton, to the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo. She is a graduate of Richland 44 High School, a North Dakota National Guard member and a first responder with Abercrombie Fire and Rescue.
• Daniel Carroll, Dickinson, to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, N.Y. He attends Dickinson High School and is a member of the Civil Air Patrol.
• Tony Heidelberg of Underwood to the Air Force Academy. He serves in the Air Force at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota. He graduated from Underwood High School.
• Jarek Hogue of Watford City to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. He attends Watford City High School.
• Olivia Nellermoe of West Fargo to the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y. She is attending the U.S. Air Force Preparatory School in Colorado.
• Rowyn Schollmeyer of Bismarck to the U.S. Military Academy. She is a senior at Bismarck Century High School.
• Adrianna Wilder of Minot to the Air Force Academy. She is a senior at Minot High School.
• John Lynch to the Merchant Marine Academy. He is a member of a North Dakota military family. He attends Point Pleasant Beach High School in New Jersey.
Hoeven's nominations include:
• Elijah Stewart of Minot to the Naval Academy. Steward is a freshman at Minot State University and a graduate of Minot's Bishop Ryan High School.
• Seth Hanson of Grand Forks to the Military Academy at West Point. He is a senior at Grand Forks' Red River High School.
• Emily Robinson of Burke, Va., to the Air Force Academy. She is a senior at Lake Braddock High School in Virginia and attended Minot High School while her father served at Minot Air Force Base.
North Dakota students interested in applying to a service academy for the 2018-2019 school year can learn more online at www.heitkamp.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/service-academies or www.hoeven.senate.gov/serving-you/academy-nominations.
Individuals interested in applying for a military academy nomination for the 2018-19 academic year should submit an application by October 2018.
Each academy determines final appointments. Those appointed receive a scholarship and military appointment and must serve in the military for at least five years following graduation.