BISMARCK-Four years of supervised probation are over for Craig Cobb, the known white supremacist who in 2013 sought to turn the tiny town of Leith in south-central North Dakota into a community for like-minded individuals.

Michelle Linster, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said Cobb's probation ended April 28.

"His GPS and everything came off on the date. Whatever conditions he had at that time, they expired with that probation," she said. "He's no longer on our caseload."

It's unclear what Cobb's plans may now be. The Tribune attempted to contact him by phone with three numbers, none of which was successful. He did not respond to a letter requesting an interview.

Cobb, 66, has been living in Sherwood, just south of the Canadian border, since mid-2014. Sherwood Mayor Garrett Volk said Cobb's time there has been "pretty uneventful" and he keeps to himself.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

"He hasn't really caused any problems," Volk said. "When he moved to town, everyone was kind of wondering."

Leith Mayor Ryan Schock said life's been better since Cobb left town.

"Things have been pretty quiet, and I'd just as soon kind of leave it that way," Schock said.

Cobb made headlines in late 2013 when he publicized his plans online to turn Leith, population 16, into an all-white enclave. He purchased about a dozen lots in town, and attracted a like-minded couple and their children.

But in November 2013, Cobb and Kynan Dutton were arrested and charged with terrorizing after an armed patrol through Leith. They both eventually accepted plea agreements - Cobb pleaded guilty to five misdemeanor counts of menacing and one felony count of terrorizing.

He made further headlines in 2015 when he attempted to buy properties in Antler, near Sherwood, but the city of Antler bought them instead to keep Cobb away.

And last year, a former church he was buying in Nome in southeastern North Dakota burned in a fire that was intentionally set. The Barnes County State's Attorney's Office said Friday the case is unresolved with an ongoing investigation.

Cobb was on hand for President Donald Trump's visit to Mandan in early September. He strolled down the road near the Mandan Refinery with a woman acquaintance, pausing to talk, where he lifted his pantleg to show his GPS monitoring device and noted his remaining eight months of probation.