WEST FARGO — Nearly two months after a fatal apartment fire, officials have released the identity of a 40-year-old West Fargo man who died a week after the blaze.

Samual Yorke was pulled from his apartment by West Fargo police officers at about 5:30 a.m. Feb. 28, officials said. The cause of the fire was ruled as accidental and related to smoking materials.

Yorke died at Sanford Medical Center in Fargo the following week, March 7. His cause of death was multi-system organ failure due to "carbon monoxide poisoning and inhalation of toxic gases from a structure fire," said Darin Haverland, Cass County deputy coroner.

Officers Brock Ackerman and David Todd, son of Fargo Police Chief David Todd, were awarded the department's first-ever Medal of Valor for their efforts to save Yorke. They both crawled into the apartment at 1031 First St. and performed CPR, though Yorke left the scene unresponsive.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live