New access approved on Ninth Street East
West Fargo City Commissioners approved a new access entry onto Ninth Street East Monday night that will provide an emergency exit for the West Fargo Police Department from their property for police vehicles responding to calls.
The access was requested by the police officials as a tie in to the new police and city hall expansion project with the intention to use it basically for emergency exiting to get police vehicles onto Ninth Street. This would eliminate the need to exit on Seventh Street by Berger Elementary School, one of the present exit points, along with 4th Avenue East.
The proposed access is 267 feet from the center of the intersection of 4th Avenue East to the center of access at 453 9th St. E. The new police complex will have underground parking so the vehicles will be able to come out of the parking ramp and travel straight onto Ninth Street.
Bids are expected to be let for the new City Hall/Police complex in December with construction set to begin next spring as soon as the ground dries up and crews can start digging. The new part of the complex will be built first followed by the remodeling of the present West Fargo City Hall. July of 2015 is being earmarked as the completion date.
The recommendation was for signage at the access point stating ‘no entry’ and for emergency use only.
Police Chief Arland Rasmussen said that the department favors the access. “Yes, we want it. We just need a way to get in and out.” He said staff would be directed to use it in only emergency situations and accordingly.
The board voted 5-0 to approve the access request.
In other action, the commission:
- approved second and final reading of a zoning ordinance amendment to allow for nursing homes, retirement homes, convalescent homes, assisted living facilities and the like as conditionally permitted uses in a commercial office park district, giving the commission the leverage to review requests on a case-by-case basis;
- okayed a motion to continue a request until the next meeting for documentation to be in place for rezoning of Oak Ridge 5th Addition from agricultural to planned unit development and light commercial and final plat approval and approval of the land use plan amendment from low density residential to office park for a 29.54 acre parcel to develop for retail space and an assisted living facility, located between 6th Street East and Veterans Boulevard south of 32nd Avenue East. The assisted living center will sit on 5.4 acres to the north of the Shadow Wood development. Work is expected to begin next spring;
- approved a new liquor license request for Spicy Pie, located at 745 31st Ave. E., Ste. 101, requested by Todd Berning, for on-sale liquor and beer.
- okayed second reading and final plat approval for rezoning of Goldenwood 5th Addition from one and two family dwellings to limited multiple dwellings;
- granted a conditional use permit request from Steve Stoner for increased development entrance signage at River’s Bend at The Preserve located east of the Sheyenne River on the north side of 32nd Ave. E., and west of Veteran’s Blvd. The 25,219 square feet parcel is platted and zoned for low density residential and the developer wants to place an entrance sign on the northeast side of the development. The proposed 223 sq. ft. size is larger than allowed under the regular sign regulation provisions but is allowed as a conditional use. The homeowners in the development will take care of maintenance and upkeep of the sign which senior city planner Tim Solberg described as “a showpiece to their development. It was almost as if it was designed along with the development.”
- granted a conditional use permit request from Daniel Stocker for an oversized accessory building in a rural estate district in McMahon Estates at 4909 3rd St. E. The applicant wants to build a 1064 square foot detached garage to allow for personal storage. Since it is over the 1000 sq. ft. allowed it requires a conditional use permit;
- okayed a planned unit amendment per a request from West Lake Apartments for development of a 27-unit apartment building and three garage structures Lot 2 at 3312 5th St. W., in West Lake 3rd Addition.
- awarded the contract for Sewer, Water, Storm and Street Improvement District No.1265 , Phase I of Goldenwood 5th Addition to Dakota Underground Company, Fargo, with their low bid of $1,722,132.25. The engineer’s estimate was $1,520,000;
- awarded the contract for Storm Imp. District No. 4050, the north section of the 19 Regional Storm Lift to Swanberg Construction, Inc., Valley City, N.D. with their low bid of $3,496,486. The engineer’s estimate was $2,775,000.