Weather Forecast


Shots fired at police standoff in Fergus Falls; no injuries

1 / 4
2 / 4
Theodore Tiede3 / 4
4 / 4

UPDATE: FERGUS FALLS -- A quiet neighborhood filled with a crowd of police and neighbors had to barracade their doors as shots are fired on Saturday.

What started as a disturbance call ended in a stand-off negotiation with police.

"After the perimeter was set up, negotiations began," said Detective Sgt. Andrew Miller, Fergus Falls Police Department.

Police say 27-year old Theodore Tiede was drunk when he threatened another person with a gun.

Officers then responded to a 911 call here to a home on the cities north side.

When they arrived Tiede was blocking his door and threatening officers with his gun, shooting into the crowd of uniforms, but this didn't stop them from making sure everyone else was safe first.

"The priority of life is to our citizens - number one. And we also, at the same time, make sure the entire situation is calm and under control," said Miller.

As bullets were fired police went from door to door to the neighbors across the street, telling them to evacuate or barricade their doors.

Officers then quickly set up blockades around the neighborhood, preventing cars and anyone else from going near the home.

After a few rounds were fired, negotiations continued for three hours and the officers on duty managed to separate Tiede from the victim.

Fergus Falls police say they're thankful everyone was unharmed.

"We here are very happy there was a peaceful resolution, and that no officers - no innocent citiznes or the subject were harmed," said Miller.

Police say they also used great restraint, not firing back.

Tiede is currenly being charged with Terrorizing and Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

Tiede is being held in the Otter Tail County Jail awaiting formal charges.

He will appear in court on Monday.


FERGUS FALLS, MINN. -- A police perimeter had to be set up outside a home in Fergus Falls for a 2 and a half hour long standoff with an armed man.

27-year-old Theodore Tiede of Fergus Falls barricaded himself inside a home, on the 700 block of North Vine Street, and reportedly threatened another resident of the house with a gun around 3:45 p.m. on Saturday.

When officers first made contact with Tiede, they attempted to get him to surrender.

During negotations, Tiede fired several gunshots from the house.

Eventually Tiede exited the home, surrended and then was booked into Otter Tail County Jail.

Nobody was injured in the exchange.